Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Personal Aesthetics: Bulbous, Undulating, and Overwhelming



         I like to think that I can find beauty in everything, and that inspiration can be found everywhere. That is definitely not the truth when it comes to my personal preferences and how I choose not only what I deem as ‘valuable’, but what I regard as beautiful.
Design is beautiful. I had never considered formal design until my junior year when I took mold-making studio. The artist that I took most inspiration from was Marcel Wanders, a product and interior designer from the Netherlands. Specifically in Marcel’s Egg Vase I draw a lot of aesthetic beauty. Egg Vase comes in three different sizes and varies from 10x9 cm, 14.5x9 cm, to 14.5x12.5 cm., and the form is made from hard-boiled eggs dropped into latex condoms. I am most drawn to Marcel’s work because of its delicate cutout patterns and ‘bubbly’ boldness. Being interested in design has led me to be drawn to simplicity- in both form and surface. 
Marcel Wanders
Egg Vase
Porcelain
1997
http://www.marcelwanders.nl/wanders/pages/acc-eggvase_1_4_grouppage.shtml


Being a ceramics major has caused me to look at everything I see from a different perspective. I consider how was something built? What processes were involved in the production of an object? How does the final product affect the viewer? I also consider elements of product design in my work, especially in mold-making. I am naturally drawn to multiples and repetition, I am so POMO! I think that the most aesthetically pleasing art is art that observes the relationship of multiples and their interactions with one another. I think I am so drawn to this art because of the power that multiples can have and the impact that their size has on the viewer, for example in Tara Donovan’s work (below). Multiples and bulbous forms can be overwhelming, undulating, and yet, complete. Which I love.

Tara Donovan
Untitled, 2003
Styrofoam Cups, Hot Glue
Dimensions Variable
Ace Gallery Los Angeles, 2005
http://www.acegallery.net/artwork.php?pageNum_ACE=10&Artist=8

  
Eva Zeisel
                                Prototype for Ceramic Wall Dividers                                   
1958

Eva Zeisel
  Up Vase Series
1958


           Sticking with the beauty of design, the ceramic work of 105 year-old Eva Zeisel is extremely aesthetically pleasing to me. I really enjoy the way that Eva’s forms fit together and how her work serves a purpose. Eva’s color palette is very rich and inviting to the viewer. Color is something that I deem aesthetically pleasing and valuable because I am always drawn to vivid colors and relationships that make work stand out and stand alone.
            My sense of aesthetic meaning and value has changed over time because my interests and knowledge have shaped and fostered this change. I think that maturity and my growth of knowledge and the want to learn has caused my aesthetic value to change since my freshman year of college. Learning about different artists and their styles has developed my mind as an educator and artist and led to the development of my own personal working style. I am now more artistically informed and have moved on from ‘crafty’ art, to art with craft.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment